On the evening of this year’s Valentine's Day (less than a month ago), I was at Ikeja City Mall (ICM) with some in-laws and hubby to grab a bite when I partially witnessed a very romantic proposal. This Mr. Lover man went on his knees and asked the beautiful lady with him to ‘please’ be his bride. People around them gave them a round of applause…. It was magical. Don’t know why, but I was thrilled (lol)….. YES, I know why… I’m a romantic!*wink*
Getting the right idea or concept to engage that beautiful woman may often times appear difficult? You may run out of ideas even to the extent that you give up on proposing. Guys, it’s always a very memorable thing for women and she won’t forget it, not even in a lifetime! Getting it right is very important, she mustn’t guess you’re about to propose to her. The fun in it is catching her unawares! You know?
A friend once told me her hubby proposed to her by taking her to a fast food joint. The guy bought her a bowl of ice-cream and secretly slipped the engagement ring in it. Fortunately for her, she discovered it while trying to take a scoop but each time I think of this kind of marriage proposal, I can’t but wonder; “What if she had swallowed the ring unknowingly?” #rollingmyeyes#
If you are in a relationship and you think it’s high time you proposed to that heaven-sent woman, here are some romantic and perfect ways you can try out depending on your person and that of the lucky angel…..
1. Go to your favorite karaoke place (We have a host of them on the Island) and sing your favorite love song. Then, as the song ends, ask her to come up to the front and propose in front of everyone! Don’t forget to have some of your friends around so that they can take pictures of you both while you propose.
2. Make a book titled; Reasons why I want to marry you. List everything you like about her inside and hand it over to her at a restaurant, while eating lunch together. After she goes through it, go on your knee and ask her the golden question: “Will you marry me?”
3. Take out a small ad in her favourite newspaper/magazine (or a full page if you can afford it), in a section she reads often, and write out your proposal. If possible, write out the things you love about her and why you want to spend the rest of your life with her. She’ll be amazed!
4. Hide her ring in a bouquet of flowers, with the note providing a clue that there is something unique about this arrangement. Try to be around her when she gets it and be ready to pop the question!
5. Spell out your proposal during a mock-game of Scrabble or Play a game of Monopoly. Have one of the cards that she draws read “Will you Marry Me?” She’ll never forget that game!
6. Make her guess: For her birthday, give her a giant box probably the size for a refrigerator, wrapped up. Have smaller boxes within each big box, so she has to unwrap multiple boxes before getting to the small box that contains the ring and a note saying; “WILL YOU MARRY ME?”. A bottle of champagne, cake and some chocolates will help in the celebration afterwards.
7. Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party. Have everyone in attendance put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase “Will you marry me?” – You need 14 friends for this- When you walk into the room with your girlfriend, suggest a group picture, let your friends stand together, spelling out the 3 words and the shirts will speak for themselves. Good idea right? *wink*
8. Write her a love note with the proposal at the end of it. Tuck it into her favorite book or the one she happens to be reading at the moment, and when she finds the note, surprise her with the ring.
9. Call a local singing troupe or an upcoming musician (that is affordable) to go to her door and ring the doorbell. When she answers the door, have the local singing troupe/musician sing your proposal with you hiding around the corner. I assure you, she’ll be wowed!
10. Take her to the place or spot you first met….. (Restaurant, friend’s house, train station, office etc.) When you get there, get on your knees to propose. She’ll be happy you remembered.
11. Send a text message to her to meet you in a secret location. If possible, invite few friends too. Get on your knees and propose to her there.
12. If you plan to propose to her during the holidays, surprise her with a ring under the Christmas tree. Or On Christmas morning, surprise her with a much smaller Christmas tree with only one ornament attached—a diamond ring…. Romantic right?
13. Announce your proposal in front of all your family and friends at a well-planned family get together….She won’t be able to contain her joy.
14. Ask her to go for a romantic stroll on the beach with you. On the beach, make sure you pass by a conspicuous green bottle that you’ve placed carefully in the sand. Have her find your proposal note inside and from there, present her with the ring- Make sure it’s a semi-private beach. Another thing is you can have your sweetheart pass by a section of the beach where you’ve spelled out the big question with sea shells or the three magical words well written in the sand where waves can’t wash it off.
15. If possible, arrange that a costume party be hosted by one of your friends. Both of you will go there dressed as a famous Nigerian/Hollywood couple, such as Olu Jacobs& Joke Sylva, Tunde & Wunmi Obe (TWO), Tiwa Savage & Tee Billz, Brad and Angelina (Brangelina) or someone else. Propose to her late in the night, with everybody ready for the big announcement!
16. If you are someone who’s ready to put money into your proposal: On an airplane -probably you both have to be somewhere together- have the stewardess/hostess announce the engagement over the intercom. If possible, get the pilot to say few words wishing you a blessed marriage. She’ll never ever forget that flight!
17. Order your favorite pizza over the phone while you’re both together and have the pizza delivery man (played by one of your friends she hasn’t met) stop by. Instead of a pizza inside the box, have an engagement ring! The surprise would be worth it! Warning: If she’s someone that really loves pizza, having the original pizza she ordered also won’t be a bad idea…
18. This one is for the well-connected: Arrange for a celebrity to show up to her door and announce your proposal. If possible, make sure it’s one celebrity she totally adores….. awwwwww, she’ll be overwhelmed!
19. Invite her to your house, when she’s around, turn off all the lights in your apartment and make a trail of candles that leads to a circle of rose petals positioned around the ring. This is also a cool way to propose.
20. Go out for a night of dancing and ask the DJ or band leader to pass you the mic so you can dedicate a song and propose on the dance floor. Make sure the song you sing is her favourite love song.
Your proposal should be well planned no matter what. This will make her treasure the memory for the rest of her life.
I pray that special woman you eventually propose to will not turn you down…lol (Amen!!!)
Wish you luck guys…….